Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I Want New Stuff Gift Registry

Unless we are having a baby, moving to a new home, or getting married, we folks over the age of 60 are getting shorted on gift registries. Remember when brides registered their china and silver patterns at jewelry stores? Where I grew up, there were only two jewelry stores downtown (there were no malls back then) and we future brides all trouped into the most prestigious to register our patterns.

In the years to follow, we’ve all shelled out a pretty penny for bridal and baby showers, graduations, and house warmings. I figured out that just to break even, I’m due back close to $8,692.37 in gifts.

There’s a lot of stuff I could use since the sheets, frying pans, and welcome mat I got at bridal showers has long since worn out. Trouble is, there are no socially accepted reasons for me to “register.”

So here’s my idea. I propose that once every four or five years, we 60-somethings cajole our friends into throwing us a “I Want New Stuff” shower. The heck with the silver and china (even the kids don’t want it), let’s go for replacement linens, a new toilet seat, a microwave, and some of those dandy outdoor solar lights just to get started.

I’m real excited about the prospect of registering for gifts at such innovative stores as Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Sears, and now K-Mart.

You know that as soon as the larger stores get wind of this idea, it’s headed straight to their marketing departments. I’m starting my list now so by the time the ad campaigns and greeting cards are rolling out, I’ll be ready to shop!

So what’s on your list?

© Copyright 2006 Suzzwords

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure there's something on my list SUZZ, but for the life of me I can't think what it would be. I'm in desperate need of a gigantic GARAGE SALE actually. Every storage room, closet, garage and nook 'n cranny is filled with "stuff." The only thing I can think of that I'll be needing in the next few years is another car. Think I can put that on a registry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:48 PM

    You are a genius! I would love to have all new stuff that looks pretty instead of all this used stuff. I can't wait to find a sucker to throw me a party!!!

    LoveM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Joy.

    I have plenty of "stuff" Some of it perhaps a bit old and rusty but I don't want anymore stuff.

    Ok, maybe some new towels and some new really high quality sheets and pillow cases like those hotel type sheets they advertize in the catalogues that cost a zillion bucks.

    But no more stuff.

    Make my shower a money or gift certificate one so I can order my won new stuff. Half the stuff one gets at showers has to be returned or exchanged and that is such a bother.

    I think I will just rock on with my old stuff after all.

    But thanks for thinking of me.

    :) Chancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:10 PM

    This is a great idea, Suzz, especially for us older folks. Some bride showers have themes so maybe I can get my friend Betty to give me a "perscriptions" shower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Suzz - and the kids should come to the party and cough up for some good stuff, after all they might just inherit it back, my kids have already started 'tagging' stuff!

    ReplyDelete